Episode 160 – Be More Chill Composer and Lyricist, Joe Iconis
Joe Iconis had a helluva summer.Be More Chill, his musical that premiered at Two River Theater in New Jersey in 2015 (!), opened off-Broadway, sold out in an instant, extended, and then the Producers announced the show would move to Broadway.
And not because someone gave it a “must move” review or because a super-rich philanthropist wants to give Joe a shot. Oh no, this show is happening because fans found it on social media, fell in love with it, and demanded that it happen.
And that’s historic . . . and awesome.
Everyone in the biz has known the Kleban and Jonathan Larson Award-winning composer/lyricist of tunes like “Blue Hair” was going to pop at some point . . . but, as only can happen in our industry, no one ever could have predicted it would happen like this.
So how did it happen?
That’s just one of the things Joe and I talked about on my podcast this week. Listen in to hear him us chat about . . .
- Just how that Be More Chill album went viral (and what you can do to make yours do the same . . . you may not like the answer).
- Why he works with the same “crew” of performers on so many of his shows.
- What doing “concerts” had to do with his success.
- How he dealt with the disappointment of his first show not going all the way when he thought it might.
- The fear of disappointing fans when your show is a social media success.
Click above to listen to my podcast with Joe!
Listen to it on iTunes here. (And if you like the podcast, give it a great review while you’re there!)
Download it here.
ESTIMATED LISTENING TIME OF THIS EPISODE: 9 Minutes LISTEN…
ESTIMATED LISTENING TIME OF THIS EPISODE: 10 Minutes LISTEN…
ESTIMATED LISTENING TIME OF THIS EPISODE: 5 Minutes LISTEN…
ESTIMATED LISTENING TIME OF THIS EPISODE: 7 Minutes LISTEN WHEREVER…