Podcast Episode 104 – Tony Award winning Director/Choreographer Jerry Mitchell
I first met Jerry Mitchell in 1993. He was throwing some tires around on stage as the Associate Choreographer of the Weissler revival of Grease and I was the PA.
I didn’t know much, back then. But I do remember thinking . . . “I don’t know who this tall dancin’ drink of H20 is, but the musical theater world certainly will soon enough.”
Soon after Grease, Jerry went on to choreograph some of the most joyous musicals of the last few decades, including Hairspray, The Full Monty, Dirty Rotten before taking his seat in the Director’s chair, as the Captain of Legally Blonde, On Your Feet!, and everybody say yeah . . . Kinky Boots.
Jerry’s work, like his personality, is filled with such a positive, infectious energy. It’s hard not to have a big grin on your face when you’re watching his work . . . or when you’re interviewing him for a podcast.
Listen to me smile through my questions and hear Jerry talk about how he maintains that positivity in this tricky industry and . . .
- How he transitioned from an almost naked-dancing Indian to a choreographer and how his mentors (You know, people like Bennet and Robbins) responded.
- Why the first thing he does when he decides to work on a musical is NOT listen to the musical.
- What he believes the mission of a Broadway musical is . . . and how that affects the shows he chooses to work on.
- Why he actually enjoys previews!
- How his style of dealing with actors has changed since his early days.
Jerry scoffs when I gave him a certain compliment during this podcast . . . I’ll let you listen to hear what it is . . . but I’m just as sure about it now as I was back in 1994.
Click here to listen.
Listen to it on iTunes here. (And if you like the podcast, give it a great review, while you’re there!)
Download it here.
Sorry about the sound issues in this podcast. We found the bug and fixed it in later episodes. It gets better, I promise 🙂
(Got a comment? I love ‘em, so comment below! Email Subscribers, click here then scroll down to say what’s on your mind!)
– – – – –
– Listen to Podcast Episode 103 with the CEO of the American Theatre Wing, Heather Hitchens! Click here.
– Get everything you need to help get your show off the ground when you join TheProducersPerspectivePro for free. Join the club today.
Tomorrow, November 24th at 9am, A Beautiful Noise: The Neil…
In the week ending in 11/13/2022, there were 15 shows…
The top 10 grossing shows from the week ending in…
Kimberly Akimbo and KPOP have both started performances on Broadway…
Ken created one of the first Broadway podcasts, recording over 250 episodes over 7 years. It features interviews with A-listers in the theater about how they “made it”, including 2 Pulitzer Prize Winners, 7 Academy Award Winners and 76 Tony Award winners. Notable guests include Pasek & Paul, Kenny Leon, Lynn Ahrens and more.