Podcast Episode 123 – Tony Nominated Writers of Come From Away, Irene Sankoff and David Hein
About a year ago, I interviewed the Producers of Come From Away, who were still winding their way to Broadway.
Now the show has landed safe and sound, and the audiences have embraced it as warmly as the Gander, Newfoundlanders embraced the passengers that landed in its small Canadian town back on September 11th, 2001.
The show is an unexpected hit, making almost $1.3mm last week, and making stars out of the husband and wife writing team of Irene Sankoff and David Hein.
The Producers spoke highly of that team back when… so I knew I had to get them on the podcast.
And boy, did they not disappoint.
Listen in to hear them talk about…
- Why they became musical theater writers solely to spend more time together.
- The Rules they have as a writing team to make sure they stay married…and stay writing together (these are worth the price of this podcast alone!).
- How to stand up for your script against big time Broadway veterans when you’re a rookie, and its importance to your show’s success.
- Why they never thought that Come From Away would play Broadway, and how that attitude helped get the show here.
- The importance of a day job as you’re on your way to write for the theater… or do anything in the theater!
This podcast was the first time I had ever met these two, but after 45 minutes, all I could think was, “Isn’t it awesome when great things happen to great people?”
If you’re in some small town outside of New York City and wonder if it can happen to you? David and Irene are evidence that it can…and in this podcast, they give you a great road map on how to make it happen on your own.
Listen to it on iTunes here. (And if you like the podcast, give it a great review, while you’re there!)
Download it here.
Sorry about the sound issues in this podcast. We found the bug and fixed it in later episodes. It gets better, I promise 🙂
On Sunday, December 4th, the 3 remaining original queens in…
Tomorrow, November 24th at 9am, A Beautiful Noise: The Neil…
In the week ending in 11/13/2022, there were 15 shows…
Ken created one of the first Broadway podcasts, recording over 250 episodes over 7 years. It features interviews with A-listers in the theater about how they “made it”, including 2 Pulitzer Prize Winners, 7 Academy Award Winners and 76 Tony Award winners. Notable guests include Pasek & Paul, Kenny Leon, Lynn Ahrens and more.