Podcast Episode 133 – One of the most produced playwrights on the planet, Jonathan Rand
Jonathan Rand has had over 4,000 productions of one . . . just ONE of his many plays.
Then how come you never heard of him?
Because this art-repreneur used a bit of Chris Anderson “Long Tail” theory to focus on a niche . . . and he has blown it up into a very successful, full-time writing career.
And none of his shows have ever been in New York City.
I’m not going to reveal all the secrets to how he built his career in this preamble to the podcast, so if you want the full story, you’ve got to listen in and hear Jonathan talk about:
- How entering a contest kicked-off his writing career.
- How a couple lines of HTML and ZERO expectations changed his life.
- What high schools are looking for when they decide to license a play.
- The day he founded Playscripts and why (the most successful artists I know have great business skills – and this is one of the best examples in our industry).
- How plays are discovered by the subsidiary market, how that’s going to change, and what you can do to get your stuff noticed.
I’m constantly asked whether or not it’s possible to get your shows produced if they haven’t been seen in NYC.
The answer? Yes. Thousands and thousands of times over.
Listen in to hear how.Click here for the link to my podcast with Jonathan!
Listen to it on iTunes here. (And if you like the podcast, give it a great review, while you’re there!)
Download it here
On Sunday, December 4th, the 3 remaining original queens in…
Tomorrow, November 24th at 9am, A Beautiful Noise: The Neil…
In the week ending in 11/13/2022, there were 15 shows…
Ken created one of the first Broadway podcasts, recording over 250 episodes over 7 years. It features interviews with A-listers in the theater about how they “made it”, including 2 Pulitzer Prize Winners, 7 Academy Award Winners and 76 Tony Award winners. Notable guests include Pasek & Paul, Kenny Leon, Lynn Ahrens and more.