Podcast Episode 187 – Tony-Award Winning Director, Michael Mayer
A flood brought us together.
It was crunch time during tech at Thoroughly Modern Millie when the deluge curtain opened up and flooded the stage and the Director, Michael Mayer, had to figure out what to do.
As the Company Manager, I’ll never forget the look on everyone’s faces when they found out that costumes were ruined, the stage couldn’t be used, etc.
And under Michael’s leadership, everyone buckled down, mopped up the mess, and went on to create a Tony Award-winning musical.
Michael has put a few more Tony-Award winning shows on his resume, including Spring Awakening, and we talked about all the show(s) he has captained, as well as . . .
- The GOOD review that made him stop reading reviews altogether.
- Why he convinced everyone to wait for Neil Patrick Harris to be available for Hedwig and how we got that performance out of him.
- How he can still feel like a fraud, even with a Tony Award on his shelf, and how he gets through that when he starts a new show.
- Plays versus musicals and the skills you need for both.
- The day he knew to hang it up as a performer because there were bigger things that he could do.
Click above for my podcast with Michael!
Listen to it on iTunes here. (And if you like the podcast, give it a great review while you’re there!)
Download it here.
Keep your show organized with the Theatermaker's fool-proof management system
Improve your success rate for getting produced with daily strategy tips.Send me the system
Podcast Episode #250: An Important Announcement
ESTIMATED LISTENING TIME OF THIS EPISODE: 4 Minutes LISTEN WHEREVER…
Podcast Episode #248: Broadway’s Advantage To Its Comeback
ESTIMATED LISTENING TIME OF THIS EPISODE: 9 Minutes LISTEN…
Podcast Episode #247: My Revised Look At What Broadway’s Recovery Will Look Like
ESTIMATED LISTENING TIME OF THIS EPISODE: 10 Minutes LISTEN…
Podcast Episode #245: The Best Advice I Received At The Start of the Broadway Shutdown
ESTIMATED LISTENING TIME OF THIS EPISODE: 5 Minutes LISTEN…
Podcast Episode #244: What TheaterMakers Can Learn From Simone Biles
ESTIMATED LISTENING TIME OF THIS EPISODE: 7 Minutes LISTEN WHEREVER…
Podcast Episode #243: “As Seen On TV” Commercials
ESTIMATED LISTENING TIME OF THIS EPISODE: 5 Minutes LISTEN WHEREVER…