Podcast Episode 198: The Creator of Freestyle Love Supreme, Anthony Veneziale
Usually, these intros are all about giving you a tease of information to get you to listen to the podcast:
- Somewhere in this episode, I beatbox.
Yep, this son-of-an-Indian immigrant who grew up in preppy New England blue blazer, threw down some beats.
And thanks to Anthony Veneziale, one of the men who helped paved the Great White Way for hip hop and the creator of Freestyle Love Supreme, I did alright.
Listen in to this podcast, and you’ll hear about the origins of this new form on Broadway, and how he helped Lin Manuel Miranda and Tommy Kail with In The Heights, and a ton more, including (yes, I’m giving you the full bullet points, because this podcast is that good):
- Why Hip-Hop/Rap is so effective in the theater and why this is just the beginning.
- How his success happened overnight . . . NO IT DIDN’T! It took a long time, and why and how he had the courage to keep at it.
- The most commonly uttered words on my podcast from all my guests, and why those words helped Anthony crush his goals.
- How he teaches freestyle at the Freestyle Love Supreme Academy (if I can do it – anyone can).
- And in addition to me beatboxing, you can bet he shows a little of his freestylin’ skills as well.
So listen in, and after you do, check out Freestyle Love Supreme.
Anthony is one of the few guests that forced me to see his show before he appeared as a guest, and I was so thankful I did. While I have seen them perform before, the show is more than just a 3-minute sketch of freestyle. But you got to go to check it out. You’ll hear why when I talk about it in the podcast, so . . .
And you will win!
Because Anthony is the real deal!
And after you hear what he has . . .
Oh crap, I give up. I’m bad at this. Just listen.
- Click here to listen on our site!
- Listen to it on iTunes here. (And if you like the podcast, give it a great review while you’re there!)
- Download it here.
This week’s #SongwriterOfTheWeek is Douglas Lyons and Ethan Pakchar! Check out “Runnin’” from their musical BEAU at the end of this episode. If you enjoyed the outro music in this episode, go on over to http://lyonsandpakchar.com/ for more tunes.
This week’s episode is brought to you by AJV MEDIA. For more information, please visit http://www.ajvmedia.com.
On June 30th, A Beautiful Noise will play its final…
Ken created one of the first Broadway podcasts, recording over 250 episodes over 7 years. It features interviews with A-listers in the theater about how they “made it”, including 2 Pulitzer Prize Winners, 7 Academy Award Winners and 76 Tony Award winners. Notable guests include Pasek & Paul, Kenny Leon, Lynn Ahrens and more.