Podcast Episode #37: Tony Award-Winning Writer Steven Sater!
Welcome to Week #2 of Spring Awakening month on the ol’ Producer’s Perspective Podcast, featuring none other than the Tony Award-winning book writer and lyricist, Steven Sater.
And just wait until you hear some of the poetic truth bombs he drops about writing for the theater, about Spring and about living life in general. His story could be a musical itself, with the number of dragons he slayed in order to get where he is today. And we talk about everything, including:
- Publishing his first novel . . . at age five.
- How he turned an almost fatal accident into an opportunity to master ancient Greek.
- Why he prefers writing lyrics and book, rather than just the book . . . and why.
- Why he writes on yellow pads with a pencil rather than on a computer.
- Where he got the idea for Spring Awakening in the first place and what he thought when the curtain went up on the very first production.
You’ll hear me say this on the podcast, but Steven is one of the most eloquent guests we’ve ever had, pouring out beautiful answers to my questions, as if he was writing a podcast-ian play. And his tips on getting your career started are some that all of us can learn from, whether you’re writing, directing or getting into hotel management, to be honest.
So enjoy Week #2 of Spring Awakening month!Click here to listen.
Listen to it on iTunes here. (And give me a rating, while you’re there!)
Download it here.
Miss Week #1? Click here to listen to Director Michael Arden.
Upcoming Next Week: Tony and Grammy Award-winning Composer Duncan Sheik!
(Got a comment? I love ‘em, so comment below! Email Subscribers, click here then scroll down to say what’s on your mind!)
– – – – –
– Looking for a job, or want to tell the world about your upcoming show? Do it in our forum! Click here.
– Win 2 tickets to see Clever Little Lies Off Broadway! Click here.
– Follow Spring Awakening‘s journey to opening night! Click here to read The Associate Producer’s Perspective.
Five new musicals and plays are in previews. And last…
Last week we said happy trails to Dear Evan Hansen….
With two fewer shows running in the week ending 9/11/2022,…
This past week we said happy trails to Mr. Saturday…
Dear Evan Hansen grossed $1mm for the first time all…
Ken created one of the first Broadway podcasts, recording over 250 episodes over 7 years. It features interviews with A-listers in the theater about how they “made it”, including 2 Pulitzer Prize Winners, 7 Academy Award Winners and 76 Tony Award winners. Notable guests include Pasek & Paul, Kenny Leon, Lynn Ahrens and more.