Podcast Episode #55: A Master-cast with Pulitzer Prize-Winning Book Writer & Director James Lapine
What a story.
You’d think that those who have reached the apex of their specific careers were focused on doing just that since they came out of the womb. Well, wait until you hear what James Lapine was doing before he started directing . . . and before he started writing.
From those “graphic” beginnings (hint, hint), James went on of course to become one of our industry’s most celebrated book writers and directors with shows like Sunday in the Park with George, Falsettos, Into the Woods and so many others on his CV. And he ain’t done yet for sure.
Listen in to today’s Podcast to hear this Master Theater Artist talk about everything from:
- How not worrying about whether his first show would “make or break” his career is what led to its success.
- Why Sunday in the Park with George made be the best evidence we have for the legalization of marijuana.
- Why he doesn’t do outlines.
- The difference between collaborating with Stephen Sondheim and William Finn . . . and which one he prefers.
- How he comes up with ideas for shows.
Oh, and listen . . . you have got to hear the Sunday story he tells about the preview period . . . with no microphones, hardly any light . . . and no 2nd Act score. It’s incredible. And how that show managed to come together and then win a freakin’ Pulitzer (!) is a testament to the genius of James.
Enjoy this Master-cast!
(Got a comment? I love ‘em, so comment below! Email Subscribers, click here then scroll down to say what’s on your mind!)
– – – – –
– Listen to Podcast Episode #54 with Tony Award-winning Director Diane Paulus! Click here.
– Win one ticket to TEDxBroadway 2016! Click here.
– Only 8 performances left of Spring Awakening. Get your tickets today! Click here.
Tomorrow, November 24th at 9am, A Beautiful Noise: The Neil…
In the week ending in 11/13/2022, there were 15 shows…
The top 10 grossing shows from the week ending in…
Kimberly Akimbo and KPOP have both started performances on Broadway…
Ken created one of the first Broadway podcasts, recording over 250 episodes over 7 years. It features interviews with A-listers in the theater about how they “made it”, including 2 Pulitzer Prize Winners, 7 Academy Award Winners and 76 Tony Award winners. Notable guests include Pasek & Paul, Kenny Leon, Lynn Ahrens and more.