Podcast Episode 61 – President of Actors’ Equity Association, Kate Shindle.
Our unofficial labor leader month continues here at The Producer’s Perspective Podcast with the President of Actors’ Equity Association, Ms. Kate Shindle, on the microphone!
What I have loved about talking to our labor leaders is learning how they all started as stalwart members of the union they are now in charge of. On this podcast, you’ll hear how Kate started on her path to the corner office she now occupies by refusing to be complacent about an issue that bugged her years ago. (My favorite people in this industry are complacency crushers like Kate.) You’ll also hear . . .
- How being Miss America was an asset and a liability for her acting career.
- The hardest part about being a working actor in New York City.
- What’s going on with the minimum wage situation in LA . . . and why she can’t say too much about it.
- Her plans for technology to improve the audition process.
- About the myth of “The Equity One.”
Leading any labor union is a challenge. But leading a labor union of members from all over the country in an industry where the majority of those members are not working . . . well, let’s just say I’d rather produce a new play without a star that opens in the dead of February before I did that.
And I’ll also say that the 50,000 plus members of Actors’ Equity are lucky that Kate took that challenge.
Enjoy the podcast!Click here to listen.
Listen to it on iTunes here. (And give me a rating, while you’re there!)
Download it here.
Click here to read the transcript!
(Got a comment? I love ‘em, so comment below! Email Subscribers, click here then scroll down to say what’s on your mind!)
– – – – –
– Listen to Podcast Episode #60 with President of Local 802, Tino Gagliardi! Click here.
– Win two tickets to That Physics Show Off Broadway! Click here.
– Need help getting your show off the ground? Sign up for my seminar on 3/19! Click here.
Last week we said happy trails to Dear Evan Hansen….
With two fewer shows running in the week ending 9/11/2022,…
This past week we said happy trails to Mr. Saturday…
Dear Evan Hansen grossed $1mm for the first time all…
It is important to note that The Music Man was…
Ken created one of the first Broadway podcasts, recording over 250 episodes over 7 years. It features interviews with A-listers in the theater about how they “made it”, including 2 Pulitzer Prize Winners, 7 Academy Award Winners and 76 Tony Award winners. Notable guests include Pasek & Paul, Kenny Leon, Lynn Ahrens and more.