Podcast Episode 64 – Two Time Tony Award-Winning Broadway Producer, Robyn Goodman
I was an only child. I got used to doing a lot of things by myself.
So partnering with someone, personally or on a project, can be a little daunting for someone like me.
Thank goodness my first partner was this week’s guest, the Tony Award-Winning Broadway Producer of Avenue Q, Cinderella, In the Heights and so many more.
Robyn was the perfect partner, joining me on Altar Boyz “just when I needed her most” (as the song goes), and helped me guide it to Off-Broadway and its five year run.
In this week’s podcast, Robyn talks about producing partnerships (including her very successful ones with Co-Producers Kevin McCollum and Jeffrey Seller) and a bunch more including:
- How she (literally) survived her first producing project. (Wait until you hear what the Playwright wanted to do to her.)
- How she convinced the Writers of Avenue Q to skip the screen and take the show to the stage . . . and to let her be the one to help.
- The delicate art of giving notes to Authors (and let me tell you – Robyn is a master of this!).
- What she does when a show doesn’t work.
- What it’s like being a powerful female Producer in the “old boys’ club” of Broadway.
If you’re lucky enough to get the chance to work with Robyn, I highly recommend it. If not, get the next best thing by listening to her advice here.
(And next week, as I announce at the end of this week’s podcast, hear from one of the super famous Writers that Robyn helped discover . . . listen now to find out who!)Click here to listen.
Listen to it on iTunes here. (And give me a rating, while you’re there!)
Download it here.
(Got a comment? I love ‘em, so comment below! Email Subscribers, click here then scroll down to say what’s on your mind!)
– – – – –
– Get everything you need to help get your show off the ground when you join TheProducersPerspectivePro for free. Join the club today.
– Want to learn the dollars and cents of Broadway Investing? Sign up for my Webinar on Wednesday, March 23rd at 8PM ET! Click here.
Five new musicals and plays are in previews. And last…
Last week we said happy trails to Dear Evan Hansen….
With two fewer shows running in the week ending 9/11/2022,…
This past week we said happy trails to Mr. Saturday…
Dear Evan Hansen grossed $1mm for the first time all…
It is important to note that The Music Man was…
Ken created one of the first Broadway podcasts, recording over 250 episodes over 7 years. It features interviews with A-listers in the theater about how they “made it”, including 2 Pulitzer Prize Winners, 7 Academy Award Winners and 76 Tony Award winners. Notable guests include Pasek & Paul, Kenny Leon, Lynn Ahrens and more.