Podcast Episode 67 – The Executive Director of Samuel French, Bruce Lazarus.
Bruce Lazarus has one of the oldest professions in our profession.
Samuel French was founded over 150 (!) years ago, and has been licensing plays and musicals to regional theaters, community theaters and high school drama clubs all over creation ever since. If you’ve ever been in a show . . . ever . . . there’s at least a 50/50 chance it was licensed through Mr. French.
And now, it’s Mr. Bruce Lazarus who sits in the big chair of this monster licensing company . . . and luckily for us, he also sat in a chair in my office for my podcast!
We discussed licensing (a very important factor for Broadway Producers and for those investing in Broadway shows to consider before signing up for a show) and a whole lot more including:
- How his career as a Producer, a Lawyer for Disney, an Artist’s Agent and more prepared him for his job at Samuel French.
- Which market (regional, community, etc.) he would work with if he had to pick just one.
- How licensing theater is like playing video games.
- Is the success of Broadway trickling down to the stock and amateur market?
- How Samuel French is fighting online piracy.
If you’re lucky, a show of yours may run a year or two on Broadway . . . and then, if you’re really lucky, it’ll run another twenty in the hinterlands, thanks to companies like Samuel French.
Hear how you can make that happen.
Listen now!Click here to listen.
Listen to it on iTunes here. (And give me a rating, while you’re there!)
Download it here.
Click here to read the transcript.
(Got a comment? I love ‘em, so comment below! Email Subscribers, click here then scroll down to say what’s on your mind!)
– – – – –
– Get everything you need to help get your show off the ground when you join TheProducersPerspectivePro for free. Join the club today.
– Listen to Podcast Episode #66 with Broadway Press Agent and Tony Award Honoree, Adrian Bryan-Brown! Click here.
Last week we said happy trails to Dear Evan Hansen….
With two fewer shows running in the week ending 9/11/2022,…
This past week we said happy trails to Mr. Saturday…
Dear Evan Hansen grossed $1mm for the first time all…
It is important to note that The Music Man was…
Ken created one of the first Broadway podcasts, recording over 250 episodes over 7 years. It features interviews with A-listers in the theater about how they “made it”, including 2 Pulitzer Prize Winners, 7 Academy Award Winners and 76 Tony Award winners. Notable guests include Pasek & Paul, Kenny Leon, Lynn Ahrens and more.