Podcast Episode 70 – Tony Nominated Director, Leigh Silverman.
Now that the Tony noms are out and about, we can get back to our regularly scheduled podcast (which normally gets released on Monday) . . .
Sit in a room with Leigh Silverman for a few
minutes seconds, and you can’t help but think, “Damn, this is a smart woman.” In fact, I thought that so many times during this podcast, I forgot what question I was supposed to ask next!
Not only was I taken by Leigh’s passion for the theater and her methodology for shaping plays and musicals (from Well to Chinglish to Violet), I was so impressed by how she has shaped her own career. Instead of majoring in directing in college? She majored in writing . . . knowing full well she wanted to direct. She understood that knowing the ins and outs of the structure of a play and how it was built from the ground up would serve her more than just studying directing. It’s like an architect choosing to work construction for a few years to understand what keeps a building in place. #Genius.
We talked all about that choice and so much more including:
- Why she’s glad someone told her she was a terrible Actor when she was just 15.
- How she decides if a new play is “viable.”
- Why she makes her Designers act.
- The difference between working on a play and a musical . . . and what her two new musical projects are.
- Why television is the reason the new American play is thriving.
Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the podcast of Leigh Silverman! (And go ahead, just try not to think “Damn, she’s smart!” I dare you.)Click here to listen.
Listen to it on iTunes here. (And give me a rating, while you’re there!)
Download it here.
(Got a comment? I love ‘em, so comment below! Email Subscribers, click here then scroll down to say what’s on your mind!)
– – – – –
– Get everything you need to help get your show off the ground when you join TheProducersPerspectivePro for free. Join the club today.
– Vote for your favorite finalist in the 4th Annual Davenport Theatrical 10 Minute Play Contest! Click here.
Five new musicals and plays are in previews. And last…
Last week we said happy trails to Dear Evan Hansen….
With two fewer shows running in the week ending 9/11/2022,…
This past week we said happy trails to Mr. Saturday…
Dear Evan Hansen grossed $1mm for the first time all…
Ken created one of the first Broadway podcasts, recording over 250 episodes over 7 years. It features interviews with A-listers in the theater about how they “made it”, including 2 Pulitzer Prize Winners, 7 Academy Award Winners and 76 Tony Award winners. Notable guests include Pasek & Paul, Kenny Leon, Lynn Ahrens and more.