Podcast Episode 91 – Tony Nominated Broadway Book Writer of Jersey Boys and more, Rick Elice.
One of the most fascinating things I’ve learned from speaking to the 91 Broadway Pros on this podcast, is that there is no one path that leads to success. Just like every play and every musical is unique, every artist and every producer and every everyone takes their own road less traveled toward The Great White Way. They fill up their car with high-octane passion for the theater and follow the road wherever it takes them until they end up a big fat hit . . . and then they end up on this podcast. 🙂
Rick Elice, the multiple Tony Nominated writer of Jersey Boys, The Addams Family, Peter and the Starcatcher and more, has one of the most interesting journeys of them all. Because before he was on the “creative” side of the aisle, Rick was a Broadway business guy. He worked for one of the Big Three advertising agencies for decades, designing the campaigns that sold millions of dollars of tickets for shows you’ve never heard of like Cats, Dreamgirls, Evita, Annie, and countless others.
And then, just like that, he turned around Jersey Boys, one of the biggest hits Broadway has seen.
Ok, the other thing I’ve learned is that success never happens “just like that.” So tune into this podcast and hear Rick talk about his unique path and . . .
- How he wrote his first project because of a blizzard and an egg timer. (Writers, you gotta try this!)
- The show that changed his life, and why.
- How understanding the marketing of Broadway helps him write for Broadway.
- The unbelievable and jaw dropping advice he got from Tom Stoppard.
- How the business reacted when he went from marketing guy to writer . . . and how you can transition too.
Oh, and if you ever are lucky enough to get Rick to write one of your shows . . . make sure you get him into an ad meeting too. This guy is one of the few folks that has got both the left and right side working at top speed.
Click here to listen.
Listen to it on iTunes here. (And if you like the podcast, give it a great review, while you’re there!)
Download it here.
(Got a comment? I love ‘em, so comment below! Email Subscribers, click here then scroll down to say what’s on your mind!)
– – – – –
– Listen to Podcast Episode 90 with Broadway Box Office Treasurer, Chris Stasiuk Click here.
– Get everything you need to help get your show off the ground when you join TheProducersPerspectivePro for free. Join the club today.
On Sunday, December 4th, the 3 remaining original queens in…
Tomorrow, November 24th at 9am, A Beautiful Noise: The Neil…
In the week ending in 11/13/2022, there were 15 shows…
Ken created one of the first Broadway podcasts, recording over 250 episodes over 7 years. It features interviews with A-listers in the theater about how they “made it”, including 2 Pulitzer Prize Winners, 7 Academy Award Winners and 76 Tony Award winners. Notable guests include Pasek & Paul, Kenny Leon, Lynn Ahrens and more.