Podcast Episode 96 – Tony Nominated Composer, Lyricist, and more Andrew Lippa.
I go back a long way with Andrew Lippa . . . so far back that he didn’t even remember meeting me! (You’ll have to listen to the podcast to hear the full story, including me warbling a couple of lines from one of his early tunes.)
What I love about Lippa (sounds like a song right there) is the diversity of his talent. He’ll come up with an original idea and compose a two-hander Off Broadway musical. He’ll write the Tony-nominated score to The Addams Family. He’ll star in a unique piece of musical theater called I Am Harvey Milk. When he finds something that he’s passionate about, he does it . . . and he encourages others to do the same (writers listen closely to the part about who he writes for).
His story of ascension in the ranks of successful Broadway writers starts in the way that I strongly encourage so many writers to embrace today . . . and he did it twenty-five years ago. He self-produced.
Listen to his self-producing tales in this week’s podcast, along with . . .
- How Jeffrey Seller, the Producer of Hamilton, got him to believe he could write a musical.
- Can anything be a musical? Maybe, if it has this . . .
- His amazing analogy about the creation of a Kleenex Box and how you should create the same way.
- What Edward Albee taught him about writing.
- His work as The President of the Dramatists Guild Fund, and why it’s important to writers.
There are a ton of gold nuggets in this podcast . . . I bet you’ll find yourself nodding in agreement to so much of what he says. I know I was.
Enjoy Monsieur Lippa!
Click here to listen.
Listen to it on iTunes here. (And if you like the podcast, give it a great review, while you’re there!)
Download it here.
(Got a comment? I love ‘em, so comment below! Email Subscribers, click here then scroll down to say what’s on your mind!)
– – – – –
– Listen to Podcast Episode 95 with the King of Immersive Theater, Randy Weiner! Click here.
– Get everything you need to help get your show off the ground when you join TheProducersPerspectivePro for free. Join the club today.
Tomorrow, November 24th at 9am, A Beautiful Noise: The Neil…
In the week ending in 11/13/2022, there were 15 shows…
The top 10 grossing shows from the week ending in…
Kimberly Akimbo and KPOP have both started performances on Broadway…
Ken created one of the first Broadway podcasts, recording over 250 episodes over 7 years. It features interviews with A-listers in the theater about how they “made it”, including 2 Pulitzer Prize Winners, 7 Academy Award Winners and 76 Tony Award winners. Notable guests include Pasek & Paul, Kenny Leon, Lynn Ahrens and more.