Episode 69 – The President of The Booking Group, Meredith Blair.
The Broadway touring business is often called “The Road.”
If that’s the case, then Booking Agents are the traffic cops, giving the green light to some, sending some right, sending some left, and pulling some over to say, “What the heck were you thinking trying to drive down this road?”
One of the best cops the biz has is Meredith Blair, the President of The Booking Group (one of the most powerful booking agencies we’ve got) who has single-handedly booked over . . . well, you’re just going to have to listen to this podcast to hear how many shows she has booked. And you’ll also hear . . .
- How the touring industry has changed in the last 20 years . . . and how it hasn’t.
- The biggest challenge for Presenter/Producer negotiations and how she’d solve it.
- How Producers can use tours to improve on the original New York production.
- Is there a market for straight plays on the road?
- Her take on the union tours vs. non-union tours debate.
Broadway ain’t just on Broadway anymore. It’s all over the country (the “longest street in the world,” according to some). And that means if you want to be a successful Broadway Producer or successful Broadway Anything, you gotta understand touring.
And there’s no one better to explain that to you than Meredith Blair.
Take it away, Meredith!Click here to listen.
Listen to it on iTunes here. (And give me a rating, while you’re there!)
Download it here.
Click here to read the transcript.
(Got a comment? I love ‘em, so comment below! Email Subscribers, click here then scroll down to say what’s on your mind!)
– – – – –
– Get everything you need to help get your show off the ground when you join TheProducersPerspectivePro for free. Join the club today.
– Listen to Podcast Episode #68 with Tony Award-Winning Composer, Stephen Flaherty! Click here.
Last week we said happy trails to Dear Evan Hansen….
With two fewer shows running in the week ending 9/11/2022,…
This past week we said happy trails to Mr. Saturday…
Dear Evan Hansen grossed $1mm for the first time all…
It is important to note that The Music Man was…
Ken created one of the first Broadway podcasts, recording over 250 episodes over 7 years. It features interviews with A-listers in the theater about how they “made it”, including 2 Pulitzer Prize Winners, 7 Academy Award Winners and 76 Tony Award winners. Notable guests include Pasek & Paul, Kenny Leon, Lynn Ahrens and more.