Podcast Episode 172 – Broadway Star and Artrepreneur, Sierra Boggess
In my podcast with Broadway Star Danny Burstein, I remarked how I had been remiss in asking Actors to appear on the podcast. Why had I overlooked these artists?
Well, in so many cases, Actors are one of the last ingredients added to the making of a play or musical (whether or not that’s a good thing will be the subject of a blog in the coming month). So I was looking for people that were involved in earlier stages.
And that was a @#$% up.
So one of my goals in 2019 was to include more of these super-important Theater Makers on this series . . . and I’m happy to announce that we’re off to an awesome start because this week’s podcast is with none other than Broadway star, Sierra Boggess (who is also the first ActRESS we’ve had on the show).
If you haven’t seen Sierra perform, then, well, you’ve missed out on seeing someone do exactly what they are supposed to be doing with their life. Her way with a song, a lyric, or just an introduction is as entertaining, uplifting or as heartbreaking as she wants . . . and she makes it all seem so easy.
It’s no wonder why Disney tapped her for The Little Mermaid and why she bounced back and forth between mega-musicals by Cameron Mackintosh, Andrew Lloyd Webber and more.
Hear Sierra talk about all that, as well as …
- The big risk she took to get the role of Ariel and what put her over the edge in the room.
- How she stays positive when the business disappoints her, through no fault of her own.
- Her style of working with writers on new musicals and how that has changed over the years. (And she’s currently in Atlanta on a pre-Broadway tryout of Ever After!)
- Why she created “Light Lessons” for artists and everyone. (Click here to check them out. I’ve got a set on my desk.)
- Marketing for Performers: What’s important, necessary . . . and what isn’t.
Enjoy the podcast and don’t forget to subscribe!
Click here for my podcast with Sierra!
Listen to it on iTunes here. (And if you like the podcast, give it a great review while you’re there!)
Download it here.
Tomorrow, November 24th at 9am, A Beautiful Noise: The Neil…
In the week ending in 11/13/2022, there were 15 shows…
The top 10 grossing shows from the week ending in…
Kimberly Akimbo and KPOP have both started performances on Broadway…
Ken created one of the first Broadway podcasts, recording over 250 episodes over 7 years. It features interviews with A-listers in the theater about how they “made it”, including 2 Pulitzer Prize Winners, 7 Academy Award Winners and 76 Tony Award winners. Notable guests include Pasek & Paul, Kenny Leon, Lynn Ahrens and more.