Podcast Episode 179 — A view of Broadway through the lens of Tony Winner Joan Marcus
Here’s the thing . . .
If you’re a photographer and you get a Tony Award for your work in the theater, then you know you’re a @#$%ing good photographer.
That photographer is none other than my guest this week, Joan Marcus.
The truth is, Joan didn’t just get her Tony for her photos of over 1,000 productions of everything from . . . well . . . just everything. She received the highest honor that Broadway has to offer for her dedication to and passion for the theater. See, someone with the skill of Joan Marcus could take photos for any industry . . . including those who pay a lot more than we do.
But she stuck it out here . . . with us . . . as part of the Broadway family and that shows how @#$%ing special she is.
That’s why I was glad to have her on the ‘cast discussing things like:
- How she turned her insecurity about ever working again into a multi-entrepreneurial hustle . . . including a blue-jean design company!
- The keys to a great theater photo and how that photo can be used in advertising and marketing.
- Her unique perspective into what makes a show work . . . or not . . .
- Keeping up with technology in the arts.
- What she would change about how photos are taken and WHEN.
Enjoy this podcast as I’m sure you’ve enjoyed her work over the years . . . even if you didn’t know it was hers you were looking at!
Click here for my podcast with Joan.
Listen to it on iTunes here. (And if you like the podcast, give it a great review while you’re there!)
Download it here.
On my morning commute, I scoot past a giant hole…
Ken created one of the first Broadway podcasts, recording over 250 episodes over 7 years. It features interviews with A-listers in the theater about how they “made it”, including 2 Pulitzer Prize Winners, 7 Academy Award Winners and 76 Tony Award winners. Notable guests include Pasek & Paul, Kenny Leon, Lynn Ahrens and more.