Podcast Episode 194 – Broadway Super Attorney to the Stars and More Mark Sendroff
I’ve been negotiating with Mark Sendroff for over two decades. And I’ve always known he was a good rep for his clients.
But it wasn’t until a few years into our relationship that I realized how great a rep he was.
See, there was this artist I wanted to work with, so I asked him who his rep was. When he answered “Sendroff,” I grimaced. Because I knew that I was in for a ten rounder that was going to cost me everything in my budget, and maybe even a bit more.
(Tip: You don’t actually want your agent or lawyer to be the most loved rep in town. While I believe all representatives should be constructive rather than an obstructionist, you want your Producer or General Manager to “sigh” a bit when they hear who reps you.)
In addition to his skills as a negotiator, Mark is quite the businessman, having built one of the most successful practices in town, including creating a niche market repping Conductors, Musical Directors, Arrangers, Orchestrators, and more.
That’s why he reps some of the biggest names in town (you’ll hear just who in this podcast), and, get this, always works across the aisle, repping producers and shows as well.
It was a great treat sitting down with Mark when a contract wasn’t on the line, and we were able to discuss:
- How he got his first job in an entertainment law firm, and how the same process could work for you today.
- Yes, yes, it’s true . . . the day Barbra Streisand called him for some work.
- Why he doesn’t represent everyone he could and why that was so important on his way up.
- The difference between being an agent and an artist’s attorney . . . and why he chose the latter.
- How he establishes new precedents in an industry that
doesn’t likehates change.
Enjoy this master class in negotiating and so much more.
- Click here to listen on our site!
- Listen to it on iTunes here. (And if you like the podcast, give it a great review while you’re there!)
- Download it here.
This week’s #SongwriterOfTheWeek is Or Matias! If you enjoyed the outro music in this episode, go on over to www.ormatiasmusic.com/ for more tunes.
This episode is sponsored by National Alliance Music Theatre (NAMT). For more information, go to namt.org/
On Sunday, December 4th, the 3 remaining original queens in…
Tomorrow, November 24th at 9am, A Beautiful Noise: The Neil…
In the week ending in 11/13/2022, there were 15 shows…
Ken created one of the first Broadway podcasts, recording over 250 episodes over 7 years. It features interviews with A-listers in the theater about how they “made it”, including 2 Pulitzer Prize Winners, 7 Academy Award Winners and 76 Tony Award winners. Notable guests include Pasek & Paul, Kenny Leon, Lynn Ahrens and more.