Podcast Episode 197: No “Ordinary” Composer/Lyricist, Mr. Adam Gwon
One of the super fun parts about being in this biz for a bit is that you get to watch the careers of folks you admire go from someone that no one is talking about to someone that everyone is talking about.
And that someone is today’s guest, Mr. Adam Gwon, who broke through with his musical, Ordinary Days and is about to open Scotland, PA at the Roundabout Theater (which I’m proud to be helping along the way).
Adam is on everyone’s “watch list,” like a financial advisor might be watching a stock, just waiting for it to turn into the next Apple.
We sat down with only a microphone between us to talk about his status as a writer-to-watch, as well as . . .
- How he transitioned from writing 3-minute songs to 3-hour musicals.
- Choosing a collaborator: The true story of the “3 blind dates” he went on before he made the choice to write Scotland, PA with Michael Mitnick.
- How not having an answer to a question led him to create Ordinary Days.
- Does Broadway mean you’re a success AKA what it’s like to still be “emerging” despite being produced all over the world?
- What it’s like being a Tony Award Nominator
Enjoy the podcast, and then, go enjoy Scotland, PA, currently in previews NOW!
- Click here to listen on our site!
- Listen to it on iTunes here. (And if you like the podcast, give it a great review while you’re there!)
- Download it here.
This week’s #SongwriterOfTheWeek is Anna Jacobs and Michael R. Jackson! Check out “I Want To Choose” from their musical TEETH at the end of this episode. If you enjoyed the outro music in this episode, go on over to www.annakjacobs.com/ & www.thelivingmichaeljackson.com for more tunes.
This week’s episode is brought to you by TERRY KNICKERBOCKER STUDIO. Terry Knickerbocker Studio offers a two-year acting conservatory, workshops, studio rentals, one-on-one coaching, beginner acting classes, and the best actor training in New York, period. While the conservatory training is based on the Meisner Technique, Terry Knickerbocker Studio offers a holistic approach to actor training with a commitment to nurturing the total actor: Mind, Body, and Soul. For more information, please visit www.TerryKnickerbockerStudio.com.
On my morning commute, I scoot past a giant hole…
Ken created one of the first Broadway podcasts, recording over 250 episodes over 7 years. It features interviews with A-listers in the theater about how they “made it”, including 2 Pulitzer Prize Winners, 7 Academy Award Winners and 76 Tony Award winners. Notable guests include Pasek & Paul, Kenny Leon, Lynn Ahrens and more.