Podcast Episode #42: Broadway hit maker, Director-Choreographer Casey Nicholaw.
In my Broadway Investing seminar, one of the tips I give to investors looking for a hit is to look at the recoupment rate of the Director. It may sound strange, but since a Director has such an impact on the final product, I think it’s a crucial part of an investor’s due diligence.
Well, if you looked at the recoupment rate of Casey Nicholaw, you’d see that this guy not only knows how to find hits, he also knows how to make them.
He’s an 8-time Tony Nominee and a big winner for his direction of The Book of Mormon. You know that show, right? One of the biggest hits of the century? Yeah, that was Casey’s. Along with The Drowsy Chaperone, Spamalot, Elf, Something Rotten!, Aladdin and more.
He’s got a nose for what works, and is also one of the nicest guys in the biz (when talking about Casey and his incredible career, I often say, “I love it when great things happen to great people”).
And he’s today’s podcast guest! Listen in to hear him talk about:
- His secret to choosing material or what kind of shows lots and lots and lots of people want to see.
- How he turned Aladdin from a show in trouble out-of-town into a big fat hit.
- Why Choreographers make great Directors.
- What losing his hair had to do with the start of his career.
- How he maintains a show (or his many shows) after they are open.
When you listen to this podcast, you’ll not only hear insightful comments from one of the best and most successful Broadway Directors and Choreographers working today, but you’ll also hear why. Casey doesn’t eff around with his answers. He is quick, to the point, and supremely passionate. You can just tell what it’s like to be in a rehearsal room with him. And oh are the people that get that chance lucky.
Enjoy and I hope you learn as much as I did!Click here to listen.
Listen to it on iTunes here. (And give me a rating, while you’re there!)
Download it here.Click here to read the transcript.
(Got a comment? I love ‘em, so comment below! Email Subscribers, click here then scroll down to say what’s on your mind!)
– – – – –
– Looking to Shape Up the latest draft of your musical or play? Join our writer’s workshop! Only 2 spots left! Click here.
– Win a free spot at an Arts Social Media Marketing Workshop worth $399! Click here!
– Want to learn the ins and outs of Broadway Investing? Click here to sign up for my Broadway Investing seminar on 11/7.
On Sunday, December 4th, the 3 remaining original queens in…
Tomorrow, November 24th at 9am, A Beautiful Noise: The Neil…
In the week ending in 11/13/2022, there were 15 shows…
Ken created one of the first Broadway podcasts, recording over 250 episodes over 7 years. It features interviews with A-listers in the theater about how they “made it”, including 2 Pulitzer Prize Winners, 7 Academy Award Winners and 76 Tony Award winners. Notable guests include Pasek & Paul, Kenny Leon, Lynn Ahrens and more.