Podcast Episode #46: Superstar Director/Choreographer and 5-Time Tony Winner, Susan Stroman.
This is one of my favorite podcasts.
Maybe that’s because of all the elements in the theater, dance and what makes a great Choreographer great is one of the areas of what we do that I understand the least. And well, who better to help me “get it” than five-time Tony Award winner Susan Stroman?
“Stro” started her career as a Choreographer of shows like Show Boat and Crazy for You, before following in the steps of Fosse and Bennett and becoming a Director/Choreographer. The Music Man, The Producers, Young Frankenstein, and The Scottsboro Boys are just a few of the titles on her long resume.
That transition from Broadway dancer to Broadway Choreographer to Broadway Director-Choreographer is just one of the things we discussed in her podcast, along with:
- How she convinced Kander & Ebb to let her and some friends create the (fantastic) revue that started her Choreographic career.
- Her first step when she’s creating “steps.”
- Why she doesn’t have a style, but how she does have a signature (and hear my mind get blown as I realize what she’s talking about).
- Why Choreographers make great Directors.
- How to work with titans of the entertainment industry like Mel Brooks and Woody Allen.
Oh, and, in this podcast, you’ll hear the debut of my brand new James Lipton-like question, which I’m calling “The Smithsonian.”
I hope you enjoy the podcast, and that you learn as much as I did.Click here to listen.
Listen to it on iTunes here. (And give me a rating, while you’re there!)
Download it here.
(Got a comment? I love ‘em, so comment below! Email Subscribers, click here then scroll down to say what’s on your mind!)
– – – – –
– Only 80 performances left of Spring Awakening. Get your tickets today! Click here.
– Listen to Podcast Episode #45 with Ted Chapin, President of the Rodgers and Hammerstein Organization! Click here.
– Win two tickets to Men Are From Mars – Women Are From Venus LIVE! Off-Broadway AND in Chicago! Click here.
Tomorrow, November 24th at 9am, A Beautiful Noise: The Neil…
In the week ending in 11/13/2022, there were 15 shows…
The top 10 grossing shows from the week ending in…
Kimberly Akimbo and KPOP have both started performances on Broadway…
Ken created one of the first Broadway podcasts, recording over 250 episodes over 7 years. It features interviews with A-listers in the theater about how they “made it”, including 2 Pulitzer Prize Winners, 7 Academy Award Winners and 76 Tony Award winners. Notable guests include Pasek & Paul, Kenny Leon, Lynn Ahrens and more.