The Broadway Producer Pick List for 2018!
It’s that time of year, readers! It’s Producer Pick List time!
Don’t have a @#$%ing clue what I’m talking about?
Ok, let me recap.
We get a ton of scripts submitted to us here at the office from all sorts of folks . . . agents, friends, investors, PROs, and cold submissions too (although we’ve had to turn those off for a bit as we catch up on all of the ones that have come in from years past).
We can’t produce them all. Heck, it’s hard to produce even a few. (Truth be told – more often than not submissions don’t end up getting produced. Instead, writers from submissions go on our list of folks to track and meet with for future projects – and we’ve hired a bunch of people that way.)
But just because we don’t produce them doesn’t mean the submissions aren’t good! In fact, we’ve stumbled on some GREAT ones.
We hated not giving some recognition to these unproduced plays and musicals, so . . . we started a list of the Top 10 Unproduced Plays Or Musicals We’ve Read This Year . . . also called The Producer Pick List! (See here for the original post about The List from back in 2016.)
And so . . . our list for 2018 is below, along with links to the material from each show, all for your reading pleasure.
Our hope is that while we can’t produce these right now . . . one of you just might!
Congratulations to everyone on the list and here’s to productions for all of them in 2019!
- A Green Umbrella by Loren Lester and Jeffrey Silverman
- Bonhoeffer the Musical by Scott Wilkinson and Richard John Lewis
- Girl from Treblinka by Leonard David Stone
- Leveling Up by Deborah Zoe Laufer (directed by Wendy C. Golberg)
- Mary Marie by Chana Wise and Carl Johnson
- Michael Collins by Joshua Salzman and Ryan Cunningham
- Poor Players by Ron Kaehler
- Scotland, PA by Adam Gwon and Michael Mitnick
- The Secret Court by Tony Speciale and members of Plastic Theatre
- The Sycamore Street Kite Flying Club by Juliana Jones and Roy M. Rogosin
Want to submit your script? Click here to sign up to be notified when we are accepting scripts again.
If you’ve walked by a Starbucks in the past few…
Ken created one of the first Broadway podcasts, recording over 250 episodes over 7 years. It features interviews with A-listers in the theater about how they “made it”, including 2 Pulitzer Prize Winners, 7 Academy Award Winners and 76 Tony Award winners. Notable guests include Pasek & Paul, Kenny Leon, Lynn Ahrens and more.