Podcast Episode 108 – Three-Time Tony Nominated Lyricist Glenn Slater
A lyricist friend of mine said to me recently, “I want Glenn Slater’s career.”
He’s a three-time Tony Nominee, he works with some of the titans of theatre, including Andrew Lloyd Webber and Alan Menken, he’s got two shows running on Broadway right now, and two more set to go out on the road, he’s got TV shows and films, and bunches and bunches of licensed productions all over the world.
The truth is, most people would be lucky to get half of his career. And he’s nowhere near done.
I got to sit down with the lyricist of School of Rock, Little Mermaid, A Bronx Tale and more to learn how he built his career as well as . . .
- Why he stopped trying to compose for the theater and started writing lyrics instead (a great lesson for anyone trying to figure out what they want to do in this biz).
- How working in advertising made him a better writer.
- Just how he got in a room with Alan Menken, before he was anyone.
- Why he never listens to the cast recordings of his shows.
- How he adjusts his style depending on the composer he’s working with, and how he likes to work
Sit with Glenn for a minute and you’ll quickly see why so many people love to work with him.
Lucky for us, he sat down with me for over 30 minutes.
Listen and learn.
Click here to listen.
Listen to it on iTunes here. (And if you like the podcast, give it a great review, while you’re there!)
Download it here.
Sorry about the sound issues in this podcast. We found the bug and fixed it in later episodes. It gets better, I promise 🙂
– – – – –
Broadway, known for its dazzling performances and captivating storytelling, has…
So much has changed in our industry . . ….
Ken created one of the first Broadway podcasts, recording over 250 episodes over 7 years. It features interviews with A-listers in the theater about how they “made it”, including 2 Pulitzer Prize Winners, 7 Academy Award Winners and 76 Tony Award winners. Notable guests include Pasek & Paul, Kenny Leon, Lynn Ahrens and more.